Sunday, October 18, 2015

So Very Awkwardly Nice

Hello fellow strangers and people I've pestered to read my blog,
I realise I was supposed to write about sleep as I promised in my last blog post, but I was bored on a Sunday night so I started formulating two blog posts in my head, neither of which have anything to do with sleep. I laughed at my jokes so I decided to write them down for a later date, but finished this one and decided to publish it. So here we are. This may be similar to Hyperbole and a Half, I've been reading that a lot lately and tend to be influenced by my readings, so if it is, I didn't mean to but at least I gave credit.
Depending on who you are, you may be familiar with my compliments or wonder why I am writing a post about them because all I do is harmlessly tease you. (Note: I NEVER MEAN anything mean) How do I know this? Well I tend to glorify every single person around me, which I guess is a good thing, but I also am terrible at social. This clashes with compliments in a weird way. These are the steps that seem to occur.


  1. I notice something I like about whoever I am currently looking at. This happens almost instantaneously and is the easiest part of this whole thing. My thought process ends up something like, 'She's quite attractive."
  2. I try to figure out what I like about the person, as my mind usually just ends up mean girling (That is a verb, and if it isn't, it should be)
    Credit to a random website that came up when I googled you're like really pretty mean girls
  3. I stare at this person for a while until it becomes creepy, trying to figure out how to phrase the compliment without creeping the other person out, while creeping them out. I suspect by the end of this, there is drool hanging out of my mouth and I look really weird. 
  4. I immediately say I zoned out and start laughing awkwardly to avoid creeping whoever I was staring at out. 
  5. I then decide that I can't put the compliment off any longer and try to phrase whatever I was saying in words. In my thoughts, I'm saying "Your eyelashes are really pretty." But sadly, my social skills are very faulty so I usually end up sounding like someone who just got their wisdom teeth pulled out, or like a little kid trying to create a coherent sentence, which probably sounds something like, "Eyelashes grow pretty."
  6. The other person usually looks at me with a sympathetic smile and laughs a little awkwardly to try to avoid an even more awkward situation and says something like, "Thanks?"
  7. I then feel ashamed and try to explain myself, but again, my social skills are flawed because I don't often exercise these skills, as my mother seems to have noticed. This ends up sounding something like "HahaImeanyoureyelashesarelonganditreallysuitsyoureyetypedoyouusemascaraorsomethinglikethatbecausetheylookamazingandI'mprobablycreepingyououtrightnowsoIshouldprobablystopspeakingbutanywayyoureyelashesarereallypretty."
  8. The person looks at me with a blank face, then politely smiles and says, "Um could you say that a little slower?"
  9. I take this as a chance to save myself and try to form a coherent thought so I don't look like even more of a weirdo, but it's better than before so it probably ends up sounding violent but nice, like "Your eyelashes are really pretty, like I wish I could rip them out and glue them onto my eyes, they're that nice."
  10. I hide my face in shame while they look at me with a confused and bewildered expression, then realise it was a compliment and blink then say something like "Uh thanks..."
If anyone could help me get over my awkwardness, please help me, I'd like to be a nice person instead of an intensely creepy one. I seem to have mastered it on paper, as my dance friends know, but I would like to be able to social some day. Please help...

No comments:

Post a Comment