Sunday, March 6, 2016

So Very Hangry

Hello fellow strangers and people I have pestered to read my blog,
Today I will be talking to you about dance competitions. I had one yesterday and the day before and they are stressful. They are challenging and they will make or break a friendship depending on how you react during them. As I have been through many and still have all my fingers, toes, and dance friends, I thought I would make a list of things that I do to help those of you who are just entering the competition world or could use more advice.
Step 1: To avoid stress, make a list
Generic one I found online that has everything necessary. Link here
This is the first year I made a list but my friend made one for our group last year and it was the most useful thing ever. It helps you to make sure that you have everything you need. Of course if you have a list, make sure to include EVERYTHING, from the exact makeup you need to the costume accessories to bandaids and safety pins. This will make it so that you don't forget anything at home and so that you stay organanized. 
Step 2: Get organized and stay organized
This is not particularly my strong suit but recently I've gotten a lot better at this. With the help of your list, organize each costume together. My recommendation is to get a costume bag(also known as a garment bag). I have two for four costumes and they have 4 pockets each (see above). The big one is for your costume and has a hole in the top for a hanger, and two pockets for something like a headpiece or gloves, then a long pocket for stuff like hairspray, tights and shoes.
Step 3: Pack an excessive amount of snacks
There is a reason this blog post is called so very hangry. Dance competitions take up so much more energy than regular classes for whatever odd reason. This may have to do with the fact that there is a lot of running around and adrenaline induced energy, plus multiple dances and warming up, plus more energy is used in each dance, thanks to the adrenaline induced rush. All of this means that you will need fuel, and that fuel is food. Make sure to pack extra in case someone forgot some of their own, plus you might need to eat more than you thought. 
Step 4: Expect tension
There will be a lot of stress in the air, even if you follow these rules, and stress plus occasional hanger will probably mean tension. We can't also forget that dance competitions usually start early and end late, meaning you will be tired. You probably know what people are like when they're tired, hungry, stressed or any combination of them. Try to be as nice as possible toward everyone, but if you do end up arguing, be the bigger person and apologise. You will think back on this and just know that it was the competition. 
Good luck,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment